LOVE does not hurt. In fact, it feels AMAZING! It sounds simple enough, right? Healthy relationships bring you joy and happiness- NOT stress and drama. Of course, relationships will have growing pains. However, healthy relationships contain a layer of love that stops you from name-calling or becoming aggressive during an argument. You don’t have to feel PAIN to GAIN another person’s love.
To fully accept the love someone offers you, we must have self-love. Self-love is all about loving you. You can’t buy self-love from your local supermarket. As an individual, you can develop the self-love inside of you by taking the following steps:
- Embrace your heartbeat. Having a heartbeat means you are alive! This is something that lives inside of your physical body. The love starts on the inside. Your heartbeat is beautiful and so are you.
- Make sure the company you keep contributes to the love you have for yourself and others.
- Nurture yourself. Anything that lives has to be nurtured. Learn to nurture yourself in ways that bring you joy. Nurturing can involve taking a bubble bath, lighting a candle, cooking a chef-inspired meal, etc.
- Start your day with something positive like music, an audiobook, podcast or complete silence that offers serenity to your soul.
- Learn the power of “No” and “Yes.” If your agenda is full, say, “No.” Take care of you. If you’re ready to grow and try something new, don’t be afraid to say, “Yes!”